The Kung-Fu Master Jackie Chan (カンフーマスター ジャッキー・チェン) is a 1995 fighting arcade game developed and published by Kaneko. It features the Hong Kong celebrity, Jackie Chan, and the arcade game is quite rare. The game was later updated and retitled as Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire: Jackie Chan Densetsu (ジャッキー・チェン FISTS OF FIRE 成龍伝説 lit. "Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire: Legend of Jackie Chan" ).
The Kung-Fu Master Jackie Chan's gameplay is quite similar to many of the 2D fighting games of the same era, such as several Neo-Geo fighting games and Midway's Mortal Kombat franchise in terms of presentation and death moves. The player's character fights against his or her opponent in best two-out-of-three matches in a single player tournament mode with the computer or against another human player. Players has a character roster of six fighters to choose from at the start, each with their own fighting style and special techniques. In one player mode, after selecting a character, the arcade randomly selects an opponent. After two opponents are knocked out, one out of three versions of Jackie Chan becomes the next opponent. Unlike the Mortal Kombat series, some powerful finishing moves lack blood and gore, some don't destroy the opponents. It also has fast-paced action.
There are six playable characters to choose from the start and three to unlock. For a total of nine.
- Lau (ロウ) (actor: Lau Tak / Andy Lau) - Known for his appearances in several Jackie Chan films such as Island of Fire as Lau / Boss Lee, and Drunken Master II as the Counter Intelligence Officer. In this game, he uses karate. He was later altered in the Fists of Fire update.
- Yeung (ヤン) (actor: Yeung Ching-Ching) - Known for her appearance in many Shaw Brothers movies including Clan of the White Lotus (as herself), 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (as Yang No. 9) and Treasure Hunters (as Jue Gow). In this game, she uses bōjutsu. She was later altered in the Fists of Fire update.
- Sam (サム) (actor: Sam Wong / Ming-Sing Wong) - Known for being one of the former leaders of the well-known Jackie Chan Stunt Team. In this game, he uses kung-fu.
- Thorsten (トステン) (actor: Thorston Nickel) - Known for his appearance in Thunderbolt (as Cougar). In this game, he uses traditional martial arts. He was later altered in the Fists of Fire update.
- Kim-Maree (弁慶) (actor: Kim-Maree Penn) - Known for her appearance in Police Story 3: Supercop as Blonde Gunwoman (uncredited). In this game, she uses professional wrestling.
- Mysterious Lion (ミステリアス ライオン) (actor: Sam Wong / Ming-Sing Wong) - The only original character in the game. In this game, it uses magic.
After two opponents have been knocked out, players will face Jackie Chan as he uses three different fighting styles in order of appearance. Unplayable in the original version, but playable in the Fists of Fire update.
- Five Animal Fist (嵐) (Yellow) - This version of him appears as the first boss. The fighting style he uses in the game was used in some of his earliest films, including Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.
- Zui Quan (酔拳 lit. "drunken fist" ) (Violet) - This version of him appears as the second boss. Based on his appearance in Drunken Master and its sequel, Drunken Master II.
- Baguazhang (八卦掌 lit. "eight trigram palm" ) (White) - This version of him appears as the third and final boss. He is dressed in his ceremonial suit from Project A.
While Jackie Chan started the production of his then-newest film, Thunderbolt in late 1994, Golden Harvest decided to film it in Japan for its several racing and fight scenes. As the film crew traveled to Japan, they searched for sponsors to fund the film. As Golden Harvest was searching for sponsors, the video game developer Kaneko was found. While Kaneko agreed to sponsor the film, they created a deal to create a Jackie Chan fighting game. Due to the timing and relationship between filming Thunderbolt in Japan and signing the fighting game deal, Kaneko decided to hire Jackie Chan and some of his actors and stuntmen of Thunderbolt to the offices in Tokyo in order to do motion capture for converting them into playable characters. Kaneko's logo can be seen in Thunderbolt.
- Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire at The Large Cult Fighting Game March (Japanese)
- The Kung-Fu Master Jackie Chan / Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire: Jackie Chan Densetsu at Hardcore Gaming 101
- Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire at GameFAQs
- Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire at Museum of the Game
- The Kung-Fu Master Jackie Chan at arcade-history
- Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire at arcade-history