|Portal: Action/Adventure||The Legend of Zelda series at|
The Legend of Zelda series is a video game series created by Shigeru Miyamoto about the adventures of a boy named Link, the Princess Zelda, and their ongoing fight with Ganondorf to bring peace to the land of Hyrule. Each Zelda game takes place in the same world, sometimes with the same characters, but often with new characters who are the old ones reincarnated at a different point in time. The Zelda Timeline is so complicated and convoluted, that many people claim that none of the games even take place in the same universe despite the fact that Miyamoto gives hints at each game's place in the timeline when they are released. On top of the fact that Hyrule has no apparent system of measuring years, the timeline has been split by time travel, introduced parallel realities, and consists of two dimensions.
For a list of characters, items, races, places, and more from the series, see Category:Zelda lore.
In The Adventure of Link (or at least, in the instruction booklet) Impa tells Link "the Legend of Zelda":
"Link, the time has come when I must tell you the legend of Zelda handed down in Hyrule.
It is said that long ago, when Hyrule was one country, a great ruler maintained the peace in Hyrule using the Triforce. However, the king too was a child of man and he died.
Then, the prince of the kingdom should have become king and inherited everything, but he could inherit the Triforce only in part. The Prince searched everywhere for the missing parts, but could not find them.
Then, a magician close to the king brought him some unexpected news. Before he died, the king had said something about the Triforce to only the younger sister of the prince, Princess Zelda. The prince immediately questioned the princess, but she wouldn't tell him anything. After the prince, the magician threatened to put the princess into an eternal sleep if she did not talk, but even still, she said nothing.
In his anger, the magician tried to cast a spell on the princess. The surprised prince tried to stop him, but the magician fought off the prince and went on chanting the spell. Then, when the spell was finally cast, Princess Zelda fell on that spot and entered a sleep from which she might never awake. At the same time, the magician also fell down and breathed his last.
In his grief, the prince placed the princess in this room. He hoped that someday she would come back to life. So that this tragedy would never be forgotten, he ordered every female child born into the royal household should be given the name Zelda.
The events from The Legend of Zelda have not actually been portrayed in any Zelda game yet.
Games in the series (in order of release)
- The Legend of Zelda
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon - Note: This 'spin off' game is usually disregarded.
- Link: The Faces of Evil - See above.
- Zelda's Adventure - See above.
- BS Zelda
- BS Zelda: Kodai no Sekiban
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Link's Crossbow Training
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Four Swords
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Hyrule Warriors
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
- The Legend of Zelda (2015)
|This "The Legend of Zelda"-related article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.|
Stubs are articles that writers have begun work on, but are not yet complete enough to be considered finished articles.