Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The white chamber is a sci-fi horror amateur adventure game created by Studio Trophis using the Wintermute Engine. Originally designed as a university project, it was expanded to a full game and released for Windows as free download in 2005.
The player controls a girl who awakens in a coffin in a darkened room. She has no memory of how she got there, and opens the windows to reveal that she is in fact in space. The player must solve the puzzles and move from room to room, piecing together what happened to the crew of the station.
The first release of the game was released for free download in 2005, and featured four endings depending on the player's choices during the game. It originally had no voice acting, but several animated sections, including an opening and ending. The inclusion of anime sequences meant the game was over 300mb to download.
The size was one of the contributing factors to the fact that it was originally available exclusively through bittorrent. In an article for PCZone Richard Perrin stated that using bittorrent allowed them to reduce their bandwidth costs greatly. Though the game is now available for direct download from the Studio Trophis site.
The game has been updated multiple times and is now at version 1.7. It features eight endings and the text in nine languages, English, Czech, French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Russian and voice acting in either English or German.
the white chamber and its Wintermute source code have been released under a Creative Commons license that means anyone is free to share and modify the game as long Studio Trophis is credited, it is not for commercial gain and that the result is made available under a similar license.
the white chamber has received very positive critical reaction. The New York Times described it as "Grisly and intriguing, with logical puzzles and surprising plot twists, Chamber is a first-rate garage game." The Inventory magazine called it "A genuinely suspenseful horror game in a marvelously drawn anime style. All in all this game is a marvelous first outing by Studio Trophis."
IndieGames.com included it in their list of top adventure games of for 2006.
- ↑ Studio Trophis About Us. Studio Trophis Homepage. Retrieved on September 24, 2008.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 the white chamber. Studio Trophis Homepage. Retrieved on September 24, 2008.
- ↑ http://www.gamestats.com/objects/742/742802/
- ↑ http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/WhiteChamber/WhiteChamber.shtm
- ↑ http://www.freepcgamers.com/2009/02/white-chamber-free-pc-game-review.html
- ↑ Herold, Charles (May 6, 2005). "Off the Couch, Deeper Into the Psyche - New York Times". Off the Couch, Deeper Into the Psyche - New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/06/arts/06game.html?_r=1. Retrieved October 11, 2009.
- ↑ http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2007/02/top_20_adventure_games_part_1.html