Top Spin is a 2003 tennis video game developed by PAM Development and originally published by Microsoft Game Studios for the Xbox as part of their XSN Sports brand. Atari later published the game for the PC, while 2K Sports published it for the PlayStation 2. The game was followed by Top Spin 2 and Top Spin 3.
In Top Spin, players select from various game modes including singles matches, doubles, exhibition tournaments, a career mode or quick play matches.
The player can work their way up through the amateur ranks to the pros in tournaments all over the world. They can do this by using the various licensed players, or by creating a unique character. The game can be played via the internet with XSN Sports and Xbox Live for online matches.
This mode contains the basic features that let the player get into a match as quickly as possible. The characters can be selected from the professional players available, or by using custom characters from the career mode option. A match can be held on the various available courts, ranging from Grand Slam venues to practice facilities.
The career mode in Top Spin begins with a create-a-player interface which begins with, DNA type. There are many strands to choose from with each containing a different skin color and unique player traits. Create a character continues with many face and body modeling options and apparel choices. The career mode begins with an option to choose a continent that has various opportunities for a player to better their rank by training and tournaments. A player must also make "coin" in order to pay for training which increases their attributes. Coin is earned by being sponsored by one of the corporate tennis apparel icons by performing commercials and other public relations duties for them which are completed by scoring well in various exercises. Tournaments come in various types across the globe. Winning tournaments increases your world ranking, with more difficult tournaments taking much more precedence.
Top Spin also allows users to load their career player into the tournament mode (and other game modes as well). The new beginning.
The Optimatch feature allows the user to be very specific about the match that will be played including surface type, venue and how difficult the competition will be. This multiplayer feature is also the only tennis game to allow 2 vs. 2 online ranked play via Xbox live.
The various swings include: flat, top spin, slice, and lob, with swing strength increasing with each moment the button is depressed. Jumping, stretching and diving is automatically selected. Serves are executed in similar fashion, but with the addition of an on-screen power meter started and stopped with either the top spin, flat, or slice buttons. On the box, the controller's trigger buttons place you into a "risk mode" with a similar power meter, but the outcome of the shot is determined by how close to the center of the meter the user can stop a rapidly moving bar. Another component to the "risk mode" is the In-the-Zone meter which fills as momentum is gained with won points, making future risk shots easier to hit. The player can also express their character's emotion after a point by pressing buttons to choose a positive or negative reaction.
Top Spin featured a number of professional tennis players who have licensed their likeness to the game, a trend which continued in its sequels.
- Best Tennis Game, Blast Magazine, November 2003
- Best Sports Game, Dallas Morning News, December 2003
- Gold Award, Electronic Gaming Monthly, December 2003
- Best Sports Game, ESPN.com, December 2003
- Editor's Choice Award, GameSpot, October 2003
- Editor's Choice Award, IGN, November 2003
- Best Sports Game, Kansas City Star, December 2003
- Best Sports Game, New York Journal News, December 2003
- Best Games of 2003, Official Xbox Magazine, February 2003
- Editor's Choice Award, Official Xbox Magazine, December 2003
- TeamXbox Reader's Choice Awards 2003
- Best Sports Game, TeamXbox, December 2003
- Best Sports Game, Official Xbox Magazine, February 2004
- Tennis Game of the Year, PLAY Magazine, February 2004
- Best Sports Game, Press Enterprise (CA), January 2004
- Best Sports Game, Providence Journal, January 2004
- Best Tennis Title, SportsTicker, January 2004
- ↑ Top Spin for PC - Top Spin PC Game - Top Spin Computer Game
- ↑ http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562452.asp Top Spin Reviews]