Tornado Outbreak (also known as Zephyr: Rise of the Elementals) is an action video game developed by Loose Cannon Studios and published by Konami for the Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 in 2009. The game was announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo on June 2009.
The idea of Tornado Outbreak supposedly came from the Co Founder of Loose Cannon Studios, Ricci Rukavina. His idea of a game was called Tornado Alley. The game would later be renamed to Zephyr: Rise of the Elementals,then the final name,Tornado Outbreak.
Tornado Outbreak’s gameplay is in line with that of Katamari Damacy in that (as Zephyr), players are required to suck ordinary Earth objects into their funnel to grow in size. An added level of complexity is present in Tornado Outbreak, in that players must stay in the shade at all times (shade is created by an object called the L.O.A.D. STARR), as Wind Warriors will die under direct sunlight. Each level is split into five stages. The first three stages are Zephyr pillaging the landscape in search of hiding Fire Flyers (with the location of Fire Flyers being designated by an orange glow under objects). After collecting fifty Fire Flyers in each of these three stages, a totem appears from underground, surrounding a large object on the outskirts of the playing field (a skyscraper, mountain, hotel complex, etc. depending on the geographical location – Vegas, Britain, a theme park, and so on). The fourth stage of each level is a race of sorts, which sees Zephyr flying through vortex rings surrounding the totems. This creates a massive storm above the landscape, complete with moving clouds and patches of sunlight. In the fifth stage, players must navigate these moving clouds to reach the Totems so that they can be destroyed in a button-mashing mini-game, thus revealing one of Omegaton's orbs and unlocking the next level.
- Zephyr- leader of the Wind Warriors, possesses the power of wind and the ability to transform himself into a raging, column of air that can level anything in his path. He worked to create
atmosphere on lifeless planets but a chance meeting with a strange being named Omegaton changed the game. Zephyr’s mission dictates that he helps those in need but meeting this purposefully deceptive anti-hero will challenge all that he knows. His strength, wits and abilities will be put to the test as a cosmic battle for supremacy lands on Earth. No one is safe.
- Nimbus-Once the fearless leader of the Wind Warriors, he is now the wise leader second in command. Nimbus stands strong beside his protégé Zephyr passing on the knowledge and abilities he’s learned over the years. Nimbus also possesses an innate ability for mechanical know how which is invaluable to the existence of his team. His ability to calibrate and decipher the L.O.A.D STARR which provides cloud cover on Earth and allows his sidekick Zephyr to possess his destructive abilities are vital to their mission.
- The Wind Warriors-They are the unnamed,fearless and elite squad that stands proudly behind their leaders Nimbus and Zephyr. The Wind Warriors sole purpose is to lend support to whatever mission the leaders deem necessary. Later in the story the Wind Warriors become an integral tool in the ultimate defeat and destruction of their earthbound nemesis Omegaton. Without the Wind Warriors Zephyr and Nimbus would be nearly defenseless.
- Fire Flyers-Wreaking havoc on two worlds might make the Fire Flyers seem evil by nature but maybe they’re just misunderstood. They are mischievous little buggers with no capacity to understand the consequences of their actions. To them the incursion of Earth is nothing more than an endless game of hide and seek, but their actions on Earth cause more chaos and challenges for our unlikely hero than he’d hope for. Fire Flyers posses important powers which is why Zephyr needs to find them, collect them,and ultimately destroy them!
- Stone Stompers-Rock beings originally warriors of Omegaton were left to earth,forgotten by Omegaton,until Zephyr finds them. Teaching Zephyr the Stone Stomp, the Stone Stomper only wants one request,free their brothers and cousins,the Water Whirls.
- Water Whirls-Zephyr born from wind,calls upon all forces of nature to accomplish his Earthly duties. Seemingly delicate to the point of being fragile, Water Whirls are calm, tranquil creatures. The Water Whirls donate their ability to traverse large areas quickly and smash objects like a tidal wave. Only through the Elemental forces working together is there any hope of capturing the Fire Fliers and restoring balance to save the Earth.
- Omegaton- Once the greatest hero of his universe, until his enemies joined forces and exiled him to another universe. Omegaton has been slowly dying after being stripped of his orbs of power and without them his fate is sealed to a cosmic grave. Dispersed somewhere on Earth, the Wind Warriors lead by Zephyr have been tasked to help find his sources of power through Omegaton’s deceptive coercion. The story will reveal that all that’s known about Omegaton may not be true and his mission is not what it seems.