Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
VDrift is a cross-platform, free/open source driving simulator, released under the GNU General Public License. It is currently available for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows (using Cygwin).
This game is in the early stages of development but is already very playable. Currently the game features:
- Over 20 tracks, almost 30 cars
- Simple networked multiplayer mode (currently disabled, waiting to be rewritten)
- Very realistic physics
- Mouse/joystick/gamepad/wheel/keyboard support
- Fully modeled tracks, scenery and terrain
- Several different camera modes
- Basic replay system with Skip Forward/(FreeBSSkip Backward
- Fully customizable controls
- Joystick, mouse and keyboard input filtering
- Brake lights
- Driver aids: automatic shifting, traction control, anti-lock braking
- Experimental force feedback
VDrift was praised by Phoronix, with Michael Larabel stating that "the game can be fun and its graphics are great even when compared to other more GPU-weighted games for Linux, including those that are closed-source."
- Chris Barylick (July 25, 2006) The Slacker's Guide - VDrift: Open Source Racing on the Mac, macobserver.com
- John Knight (November 1, 2008) VDrift—Open-Source Drift Racing Simulator, Linux Journal New Projects - Fresh from the Labs
- Marcel Gagné (November 1, 2007) Cooking with Linux - Because Nothing Says High Performance Like a Good Race, Linux Journal
- Jon Riggall, A free racing simulator, Softonic review of 2009-06-15 version