Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online is an upcoming science fiction massively multiplayer online role-playing game based on Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 setting. It is currently under development by Vigil Games. Originally announced in March 2007, further information was released as well as a teaser trailer at E3 2010.
The game will feature relatively in-depth fire-fights with player-formed squads as well as cover and flanking mechanics, within the MMORPG format. However, being true to the setting, war and battles will be a big feature of Warhammer 40,000 Online and Vigil Games are promising to deliver battlegrounds of epic proportions. Controllable vehicles have not been confirmed, but the developers have said that they are aware of how important vehicles are to the setting.
The game will be set in the 41st Millennium, well after the Horus Heresy, and all races important to that period in the setting will be represented, although only one playable race has been announced so far, The Imperium of Man. Details about characters are still largely unknown. However, it has been said that there will be no non-combat classes in the game as this would not fit properly with the background. Players will be able to customize their characters visual appearance with weapons, books, scrolls and chains.
Although war and battlefields will be a large part of Dark Millennium Online the scope of the game will include more of the setting than that; Vigil Games’ General Manager David Adams mentions being able to visit "cities (of all scales, types and sizes), exotic alien temples, Chaos shrines, deserted battlefields, mysterious ruins, ancient structures, drifting hulks in space, etc..." and that they will be populated with all manners of non-player characters.
Dark Millennium Online was revealed at E3 2010 expo June 15-17th. There, the name was announced as Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online, and a first trailer was shown.
On the official website a backstory for the game was revealed.
- On the very edge of the galaxy lies the Sargos Sector. For centuries it was rendered uninhabitable and isolated by volatile Warp Storms. Even now, deep within the sector the very fabric of reality is unraveling. Only the ancient Sentinel Devices hold the Warp at bay.
- But the ravages of time and meddling of humanity have weakened the Sentinel Devices-and now, the battle for these lost worlds is at hand. Drawn to the conflict, the great races of the galaxy descend upon the Sargos Sector, seeking to preserve reality-or to tear it asunder.
- Side with the forces of Order, or the vile hosts of Destruction, in a war that will unlock ancient secrets, reveal dark purposes, and determine the fate of the Sargos Sector. For in this dark millennium, there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter.
From a THQ private company conference concerning E3 presentation plan[: ]
- ↑ "THQ AND GAMES WORKSHOP GROUP PLC ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE WARHAMMER 40,000 LICENSING AGREEMENT", "Vigil Games", 2007-04-01.
- ↑ "E3 2010: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online Update", "IGN", 2010-06-16
- ↑ "Actual WH40K MMO details here", "Computer and Video Games", 2008-04-08. Retrieved on 2008-06-29
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 " Warhammer 40,000 Online", "GamesRadar", 2008-05-07. Retrieved on 2008-06-29
- ↑ "New WAR40K trailer introduces first playable race", "Massively", 2010-08-20. Retrieved on 2008-08-22
- ↑ 2010 E3 trailer for Dark Millennium Online. Vigil Games. Retrieved on 2010-06-17.