Xonotic is a fork of the GPL-ed first person shooter Nexuiz. The fork was initiated after a controversy over the licensing of Nexuiz to Illfonic game studios in order to create a console version.
Xonotic will diverge from Nexuiz in the following ways:
- A more unified and consistent art direction
- New player models and animations
- New set of default maps, some of them will get a makeover
- New sounds and music
- New stronger bot AI
- Low quality textures will be dropped and replaced with higher quality ones
- Some weapon models may be changed
- More frequent releases
- Global player stats tracking system, supporting anonymous player as well
- New HUD
A time frame for a first release has yet to be announced.
- ↑ Nexuiz Founder Licenses It For Non-GPL Use. Slashdot.
- ↑ Xonotic - FAQ.
- ↑ Difference between Xonotic and the current Nexuiz GPL