Zoo Tycoon 2: Endangered Species is the first of the Zoo Tycoon 2 expansion packs (The others are African Adventure, Marine Mania, the downloadable Dino Danger Pack and the newest expansion Extinct Animals). It gives the player 20 new animals, some of them are rare, such as the Florida Panther and the koala, as well as giving the player new innovations such as sky trams, Jeep rides, elevated paths and several new campaigns and challenges.
With the addition of this expansion pack, the player can create a Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Commander tour through the zoo's exhibits. The new sky tram routes allow the guests to get a bird's eye view of the animals. Wooden and rock elevated walkways can be built over exhibits and large bodies of water, allowing visitors and players alike to walk right above the exhibits. These even allow food courts to be built above enclosures. Both the elevated paths and sky trams will give the guests a good view of the animals, while still keeping their privacy levels content, creating a win-win situation.
Various tour objects are available to the player; interesting, mechanical objects that move and improve the guest's overall rating of the tour. This includes machines that spurt snow,volcanoes,crystal tunnels and giant sequoia tunnels.
There are also conservation areas that the landmarks are protected. No buildings, scenery, paths, fences, shelters, roads, foilage or biome changes are allowed to be put in there. However, animals can be put there.
Animals & plantsEdit
As well as twenty new endangered animals, a feature called 'variant skins' allows certain animals to have variation in their skin colour - a herd of zebra can have multiple different stripe patterns – moose can be dark brown, tigers can be white and so on ('Marine Mania later included this feature, where there can be a greyish white shark, or goblin shark). Not only are there exotic animals, but also exotic plants like golden barrel cactus and scythian lamb and trees such as the bur oak and durian tree.
Endangered Species introduces some much needed graphics updates and patches. Players can set the water in Zoo Tycoon 2 reflective by changing water detail to "very high". Trees, food and all of the 2D objects in the original game have been updated to be 3D.
Zoo Tycoon 2's first expansion, Endangered Species updates most of the animal behaviors; basic herding behaviors were added (more advanced herding and pack behavior came out in African Adventure) and animals cannot breed with their siblings, parents or grandparents. Animal models and skins are also more realistic than the animals from the original game.
- African wild dog (Lycaon pictus) - Savannah
- American bison (Bison bison) - Grassland
- Baird's tapir (Tapirus bairdii) - Tropical Rainforest
- Caribou (Rangifer tarandus groenlandicus) - Tundra
- Crested gibbon (Hylobates concolor) - Tropical Rainforest
- Fennec fox (Vulpes zerda) - Desert
- Florida panther (Puma concolor coryi) - Wetlands
- Giant sable antelope (Hippotragus niger variani) *- Savannah
- Galapagos giant tortoise (Geochelone nigra porteri) *- Scrub
- Grey Wolf (Canis lupus lycaon) *- Boreal Forest
- Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus) - Rainforest
- Koala (Phascolarctos cinereus) *- Temperate Forest
- Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis) *- Scrub
- Markhor (Capra falconeri) - Alpine
- Orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) *- Tropical Rainforest
- Przewalski's Horse (Equus ferus przewalskii) - Grassland
- Scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah) - Desert
- Spanish Lynx (Lynx pardinus) *- Temperate Forest
- Spectacled bear (Tremarctos ornatus) - Temperate Forest
- Wolverine (Gulo gulo) *- Boreal Forest
- * Means Returns in Zoo Tycoon 2 DS
As it is an expansion pack, it requires the original Zoo Tycoon 2 to play.
- Microsoft Windows 98SE or Higher
- PC with 733 MHz equivalent or higher processor
- 256 MB of system RAM
- 900 MB available hard disk space
- 32x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
- 16 MB 3D video card required
- DirectX 9.0 or later
- Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device